All about engineering
One of the exciting aspects of engineering is the variety of career options available depending on your interests and skills. Below is a list of some of the types of engineers and what they focus on.
- Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineer create and work with machines that fly
- Agricultural Engineer help protect the environment and feed the world
- Architectural Engineer apply engineering principles to help plan and design buildings and other structures
- Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineer use a combination of medicine and technology to help improve human health
- Chemical Engineer use the science of chemistry to find new and better ways of doing things
- Civil Engineer use sophisticated high-tech products to design, construct and oversee the building of structures, like bridges
- Construction Engineer oversee the construction of airports, malls, schools, manufacturing facilities, highways, high rise structures, water treatment plants and other structures
- Computer Engineer analyze and evaluate computer systems, both hardware and software
- Electrical Engineer work with all forms of electricity, such as computers, DSL, cellular phones, microchips, and solar panels
- Environmental Engineer protect the environment through water and air pollution control, recycling, waste disposal and public health issues
- Industrial Engineer make processes and production better and faster
- Materials Engineer work with different types of materials to use in manufacturing: metals, ceramics, polymers (plastics), semiconductors, and combinations of materials
- Mechanical Engineer build and maintain all kinds of machines and devices
- Nuclear Engineer create limitless safe energy, processes and instruments for national laboratories, private industry, and universities to help society
- Software Engineer work with software and computer languages to help computers perform their many applications
- Special fields and Interdisciplinary Engineering there are other specialty areas of engineering, such as in petroleum, mining, oceans, forest/paper, mechanics, geological, and surveying
WANTED: Engineer Volunteers
We're seeking engineers to inspire K-12 students to consider a career in engineering. Volunteers can connect with students and teachers in a variety of ways.
Do you have an engineering-related event to share?
connect2engineering is compiling area activities and events that help students, teachers and parents learn more about the exciting field of engineering. Check back often for new additions to the listing.